Intervention Specialist

If you want to find an intervention specialist it is critical that you understand what makes an interventionist effective.  Because the field of intervention has become very crowded recently with inexperienced newcomers, it can be difficult to navigate the competing messages about what an intervention is and how it should be conducted.

At the very least you want your intervention specialist to have training specifically in conducting interventions.  Generally, this means they will have earned the right to call themselves a Board Registered Interventionist, often this is shown as BRI-I or BRI-II after their name.  Many intervention specialists will also have alcohol and drug counseling certification.  For example, in California they may be a CADAC, which is a Certified Alcohol and Drug Abuse Counselor.

Having these certifications gives you some modicum of reassurance that they are not simply someone who decided to become an interventionist yet has no experience in the field.  Why is this important?  Because an intervention can be a stressful and sometimes volatile experience, you want to be sure the intervention specialist you choose has significant experience working with those who have addiction, and the ability to keep the intervention on track.

One of the first signs you will have that you have a top interventionist is that they make a point not only of gathering information about the addicted person, but about the various relationships within the family.  Their goal is to ensure the intervention does not go off-track due to unexpected interference from a co-dependent family member or friend.

If you are looking for an intervention specialist, please visit our intervention directory or call us at 877-413-6997.